Visit the Science Departments
L.C.R.I. Facilities and Equipment
of Lake Champlain Research Institute
The main Lake Champlain Research Institute facilities complex, which was
dedicated in November 1996, is housed in Hudson Hall on the Plattsburgh
State University campus and consists of 5000 sq. feet of renovated
laboratory, office and conference room space.
This includes modern organic and inorganic chemistry laboratories
with extensive analytical capabilities.
The Lake Champlain Research Institute's docking facilities for the
research vessel "R/V Monitor" are located at the College's
Valcour Educational Center just south of the City of Plattsburgh. Affiliates
have access to all analytical equipment and can check out portable
equipment and gear, vehicles and boats.
- 600 square foot organic chemistry lab
- 600 square foot inorganic chemistry lab
- 300 square foot ultra-clean lab
- 300 square foot preparation lab
- 1,200 square foot teaching/preparation lab
- 400 square foot mini-computer center
- 700 square foot conference room
- Four offices for faculty and staff
L.C.R.I. Laboratory Equipment:
- Dionex Ion Chromatograph/High Performance Liquid Chromatograph.
Quaternary pump unit with conductivity, UV/Vis and electrochemical
detectors. Autosampler and controller.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer (model PQe/Eclipse).
- Perkin Elmer Gas Chromatograph (model 320B).
- Hewlett-Packard Gas Chromatograph (model 5890) with FID, and mass
- Hewlett-Packard Gas Chromatograph (model 5890) with dual ECD
- Coulter Particle Counter (model L.S. 100Q).
- Perkin Elmer Atomic Absorption Sprectrophotometer (model 30/30B)
with graphite furnace (model HCA 600).
- Fisher Isotemp Muffle Furnace.
- DEC Alpha Server Mini computer with assorted peripherals.
L.C.R.I. Field Equipment:
- Winches for flow meters and other equipment.
- Hydrolab Water Quality Multiprobe for pH, DO, conductivity and
- Free fall core sampler capable of operating at 120m depth (Eckmann
- Portable remote meteorological data collection station with
integrated anemometer, wind vane, temperature, humidity and rainfall
- Differential global positioning system
The research vessels consist of the "Monitor", 32 foot
aluminum vessel built by Thomas Marine Inc. of Patchogue, NY. and a
19 foot Bayliner.
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
Dr. Timothy Mihuc, Coordinator
Phone: (518) 564-3039